Jackson State basketball gets the 2012-2013 season underway on November 11 in Waco against AP Preseason 19th ranked Baylor. The Tigers appear to have improved upon last season's team. They keep 100% of last season's player minutes and add in the efforts of four incoming freshmen.
Jackson State finished last year with an overall record of 7-23
and landed in 8th place in the SWAC with a conference record of 5-13. The Tigers would go on to lose to Mississippi Valley State 63-60 in the SWAC tournament.
Familiar faces for the Tigers are sophomore Kelsey Howard (14.6 points/game), senior Jenirro Bush (15.5 points/game), junior Christian Williams (2.4 assists/game), junior Jonathan Lewis (2.3 assists/game), and freshman Sydney Coleman (3.1 points/game).
The Tigers pick up incoming freshmen including 5-9 Keeslee Stewart, 6-5 Derrell Taylor, 6-7 Sydney Coleman, and 5-11 Scottie Sterling. The team also picks up 6-1 senior Rod Melvin and 6-1 senior Phillip Williams.
The Tigers will face one AP preseason Top 25 opponent, at #19 Baylor on November 11th. Jackson State will begin SWAC play on January 2nd at Alabama State.
Tags: Kelsey Howard
- Since 2002, Jackson State has an overall winning percentage of 46.5%.
- The Tigers have an average conference finish of 3.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.9.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 239.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Baylor (#9).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Alabama A&M (#342).
, Jenirro Bush
, Christian Williams
, Jonathan Lewis
, Sydney Coleman
, Keeslee Stewart
, Derrell Taylor
, Scottie Sterling
, Rod Melvin
, Phillip Williams